Shane Seitz is the $10 billion man.
Now that I’ve caught your attention, let me explain.
Seitz, a senior vice president for CBRE’s Healthcare Capital Markets division, has been involved in more than $10 billion in commercial real estate acquisitions during his 20-year career.
Ten billion is a big number.
However, what makes it especially impressive is that much of the $10 billion was in a relatively small portion of commercial real estate – the health care and medical office building sectors.
Seitz worked at Ventas, Broe
Before joining CBRE’s Denver office last year, Seitz worked at Ventas Inc., a Chicago-based health care real estate investment trust with a market cap of more than $23 billion.
He also served as a senior acquisition associate for the medical office division of the Denver-based Broe Group.
Seitz, on April 17, will moderate two panels at the 2019 Health Care & MOB Conference & Expo.
The conference, from 7-11:45 a.m. at the Hyatt Regency Aurora-Denver Conference Center, will draw more than 350. It is expected to be the largest health care/MOB conference in Colorado this year. The conference is produced by the Colorado Real Estate Journal in association with CBRE.
A Who’s Who of experts, including Seitz, will address a wide range of topics, including development, investment, leasing, construction and design.
Seitz high on Denver health care
Seitz is bullish on the health care real estate sector in the Denver area.
“I look at health care real estate and, combined with Denver, it is a great mix right now,” Seitz said.
Indeed, a recent CBRE report on the health care real estate sector noted that lease rates set a record in that asset class in the Denver area last year.
Health care real estate is unique from other commercial real estate asset classes, Seitz explained.
“Buyers are not regionally focused like they are for other asset types,” Seitz said. “For health care property investments, it is really about population growth and demographic metrics. You can put down a retail center anywhere, but you need the demand from patients for a health care facility to make sense.”
With Denver’s growth attracting high-salaried employees, combined with an older, established population, Denver is an attractive health care hub.
“Both demographics work in Denver’s favor,” Seitz said.
“Obviously, the older population demographic is a bigger consumer of medical services, but millennials do things like get married and have babies, although they are putting it off longer than previous generations,” he pointed out.
Seitz said he thinks the Denver area is slightly underserved as far as health care facilities.
Seitz modering 1st, last panels
The first panel at the CREJ conference that Seitz will moderate, and the conference’s first panel, is titled: “What Are Colorado’s Healthcare Systems Planning for the Future?”
He also will moderate the final panel of the conference, “Development & Investment Opportunities.”
Other panels at the conference include Design & Construction Innovations, Capital Markets Recap, and Broker and Leasing Outlook for 2019.
In addition to Seitz, other experts participating in the conference will include:
- Jeff Crawford – Principal, RMI Capital Management LLC;
- Kevin L. Kucera – Director of Real Estate, HealthONE;
- Michael R. Grobaski – Director of Design & Construction Acquisitions, Kaiser Permanente (invited/unconfirmed);
- Steven Chyung – Senior Vice President, Supply Chain and Real Estate, SCL Health;
- Doug N. Hinckley, MBA – Director of Real Estate, UCHealth;
- Jerry Heberlein – Director of Preconstruction, Hensel Phelps Construction;
- Mark Arnold – Director of Healthcare, GH Phipps Construction Cos.;
- Romano N.A. Nickerson, – Principal, Boulder Associates; and
- Linda Wagner, – Office Design Leader, CannonDesign;
List of conference participants continues
- Mark Montgomery – Senior Vice President, WSP USA;
- Justin Cooper – Vice President, Saunders Construction;
- Christopher R. Bodnar – Vice Chairman, Investment Properties, CBRE;
- Stuart Thomas – Senior Associate, Cushman & Wakefield;
- Jaime Northam – Senior Vice President – Leasing, Healthcare Trust of America Inc.;
- Perry Bacalis – Broker, Carr Healthcare Realty;
- Abby Waner Bartolotta – Director of Marketing & Leasing, Health Connect Properties Inc.;
- Naum Nasif – Senior Associate, CBRE;
- Dann Burke – First Vice President, Brokerage Services – Healthcare Real Estate, CBRE;
- Andrew Shearer – Managing Director of Real Estate Development – Chief Operating Officer, Development Solutions Group LLC;
- Kevin O’Neil – President & Chief Executive Officer, Fidelis Healthcare Partners;
- Joseph Fogarty – Vice President, Investments, Healthcare Realty;
- Thomas W. Hulme – Vice President, Development & Leasing, HCP Medical Office Properties; and
- David Chung – Corporate Senior Vice President – Development, Healthcare Trust of America Inc.